This Blog is about

love. work. play. stress. learning. failing. succeding. laughing. crying. Basically, Life.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

College parties

This weekend I was persuaded to attend a party that i should have never gone to. Despite the fact that we were all out of college, this was very much a college party, complete with the loud music, and copious amounts of beer. There were some changes though. The beer pong was changed to water pong - not that it stopped everybody from getting really drunk. And there was no random hooking up in various rooms (guess we're all too old, and if everybody was a friend of a friend, too wise for that).

As I was hiding upstairs together with a few of my friends, unable to go home because we had one friend actually enjoying herself (also the person we were staying with and therefore key to us being able to get home), I remembered why I had avoided most of the parties in college.

In some ways I miss the days before we all had money and ways in which to spend it. Going out with friends now invariably involves going to bars and playing darts or going to bars and drinking or dancing. There was a time ten years ago, with people I still remember fondly when we'd meet for dinner one night all of us from different schools and because we had no money, we'd sit out and watch the stars come out and talk about our hopes, our dreams and our lives. There are some things that money can't buy and unfortunately some things that money just doesn't seem to help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw. I remember those days when what friends did together was sit together somewhere and talk because we didn't really have the money to be doing stuff, or rather because we'd rather use that money for other things. Friendships then felt more intimate. I guess I'm glad I'm somewhere where there really isn't a party culture, in my college in particular and in my present country in general. There's still an alcohol culture, not that I partake in it. But I'm glad that I have friends who aren't into the alcohol culture, and that years from now when we meet up again after our lives have become so different, we won't have to worry about learning how to find things to talk about, because that's what we've always been doing even when we were together.