This Blog is about

love. work. play. stress. learning. failing. succeding. laughing. crying. Basically, Life.

Monday, March 10, 2008

the hidden law of pc buying

so it turns out there's more wrong with my desktop than just the operating system.

The long story is that I have been having issues with my desktop ever since I started using my new pretty laptop, Tsubasa. Jealousy issues aside, it started with an operating system issue where for some reason windows would not load, claiming a system error. After much trouble shooting, I dutifully repaired windows using the install disk, only to have the system continue freezing after light use each time. This got to be so annoying and unusable that Tsubasa got even more use in the mean times.

Last weekend, I tried to side step the whole operating issue by installing linux (which by the way is very pretty) and encounted a power issue where my system would flash on and then quickly shut off. Strange. I thought. Maybe a fuse blew in the long interim I haven't been using it. So I switched it to another outlet on my surge protector and it powered up long enough for me to install linux. Of course a week later, I try to turn it on again to encounter the same issue.

Twice is more than coincidence. I suspect my desktop has power issues. Now what to do about it? buy a new power supply and take it apart and hope the power issues haven't ruined the rest of the computer?

Give it up and strip the computer down for parts? (Very possible since I'm using Tsubasa almost exclusively now and like it a lot).

In sum, I swear there's a hidden law of pc buying that goes somewhat like this. No matter how new your current computer is, and how long you planned to simultaneously run two pcs and use both concurrently, within a few months after you've bought the new computer, the first would mysteriously die.

No comments: