This Blog is about

love. work. play. stress. learning. failing. succeding. laughing. crying. Basically, Life.

Saturday, August 07, 2004

Went on an "Outing" yesterday, that was arranged by my service apartment, I guess it was pretty interesting. *grin* At least I got to meet people. We went to a summer festival light up at an old japanese garden, they had shamisen performances and you could line up to participate in a tea ceremony- which I decided to pass on. (I wasn't sure my legs could survive sitting that way that long- I've tried it before and 15 min is my limit.) They also had a booth where you could write a haiku on the spot and they would write it for you on a long beautiful gold-rimed cardboard piece with a little painting below. Needless to say my first haiku in japanese probably sucks but I get a pretty board :-p

One of the highlights of the evening was defininitely trying to catch goldfish with a little paper wand. The game is something that Japanese kids play at Summer Festivals. There's a whole lot of goldfish in a tub and kids would buy little wands that are made of rice paper, so they break really fast if you're not skillful. Needless to say on my first attempt I caught no fish. *grin*. They're really nice and give you two fish if you don't catch any, but I decided they'd die soon because I wouldn't be here very long.. so I was being responsible. Actually erm, I didn't actually pay for my game. I was translating for one of the fellow service apartment stayers who was playing the game and the guy who was running the store was really nice and gave her a wand when her first one broke and gave me one just because... well actually he said "kirei na ojouchan dake no service" ... i.e... just because i'm pretty. The kids asked how come he doesn't do that for them and he told them to come back when they've grown up! That was definitely one of the highlights of my day. It's not everyday i get called pretty by a random guy without an ulterior motive. :-p

after that, I had dinner at TGIF with two of the guys who worked for the hotel (who were actually sorta cute) and a malaysian guy who just got into town. That was really interesting in a way, gave me an insight into how guys think, although I swear if the guys we know think like that, I'd turn gay. One of the Japanese guys and the Malaysian guy were talking about girls and the girls they were currently going after and their problems and all and they were being open and honest about how guys thought, and honestly hmmm.. I suspect maybe it's just japanese guys... but one of the things he told us was that in Tokyo, the rule is you sleep with the girl on the third date, but now I definitely understand why japanese girls are currently obsessed with korean men. It's proabably hoping the grass is greener on the other side.

Hmm.. they asked me if I'd rather marry a Chinese, Japanese or Korean and honestly my answer was none... at the moment I suspect none of them really appeal to me at all. They're all too MCP.

No comments: