This Blog is about

love. work. play. stress. learning. failing. succeding. laughing. crying. Basically, Life.

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Techno-phile

I swear it runs in the blood. So I'm not sure I knew what I was getting into when I asked my brother to build my computer but now on my buy list is an AMD computer with 64-bit computing. For the rest of us normal folks, 64 bit computing hasn't even arrived yet, so 64 bit capability i may own but there's nothing that runs on it that needs it... yet. Which is the principle that my brother operates on - everything else is upgradable CPU isn't. So now I have to get dual memory chips so that my computer can run faster, casing that cools AMD fairly well since it overheats more than intels do, and a graphics card.

To be fair, I could have said no at anytime but the call of the blood is strong. How could I resist? There's something about really advanced computing equipment that is like a Siren's song. I even find myself getting a 200gb harddisk though god knows what I'd use it all for. (I'm planning to partition it into at least 4 and run seperate operating systems on at least 2 of them)

So now, my computer budget has definitely been shot. (To be fair it was a really small budget... I was going to spend 1000 on the computer without the monitor, but now its at 700 without harddisk, peripherials, drives and graphics card.) My total will probably be around 1200. 1400 with the monitor i already bought. I guess that's not bad for a fairly high-end computer.

My brother's response to all this? "you shouldn't ask me to build budget computers."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*lol* "The Blood"? Gadgets are cool. Do you have an affinity for inventing weird things from trash lying around? *grin*